giovedì 14 febbraio 2008

Yeasayer/MGMT live @ Bowery B-Room, NYC: un po' tipo peak of the mountain di elio (in altre parole: prima de chiudere ce se prova pure coll'inglese)

My lovely kidz:

I know I got a whole bunch of stories to tell you tonight, including:

  • my impressions of the show of the band I have liked the most these days (early stages of sound/setlist kinda sucked, but second part of the show was a fucking blast);
  • my impressions of the show of the band I would have really loved to hate, which (un)surprisingly did deliver, and in a pretty impressive way (although as a huge Bowie fan, I am biased) -- notwithstanding anything in the foregoing, in the event that MGMT turned out to be the new Killers (which is a possibility), the immediately preceding statement shall be considered null and void and with no force or effect;
  • the story behind the autographed copy of the 7-inch of 2080/Sunrise pictured above; and
  • many other awesome stories.
I know all of that.

However, I am so sorry kiddos but I can't tell you any of that shit. Why? Well, currently I am shocked, shaking and don't know what to do with myself.

Bear with me for a moment, here's the story.

***

I was in line to get my stupid coat right after the show, when I saw that the dude from security, who was yelling at everyone for not doing what he or she was supposed to do in that stupid coat-check line and who yelled at me too, so I decided I wanted to make friends with him (in case you didn't notice I suffer from the Stockholm Syndrome), well, when I saw him I said:

"Hey, THAT is a very great movie -- I really like(d) it," while pointing to his Wild At Heart black t-shirt.

Let's face it: how many security guys would you normally think have an IQ higher than that of a turtle? And how many security guys would you normally think watch decent movies, let alone David Lynch's?

As you can imagine, we became BFFs in a sec.

Life was good back then.

But it didn't last long.

Cause then he went:

"Tha direct-ah woh he-ah tha otha nite, on Sund-aye." [sorry, I can't help but love Jamaicans and do the best I can to replicate them]

So I went: "What? Are you serious? David LYNCH was here???"

"Ya man, he woh he-ah," he said.

Everything was perfect, seriously: two great shows, a fucking awesome anecdote -- what else in life would I have ever wanted?

Not that much, actually. Save that he added what band David Lynch went to see at the Bowery Ballroom.

"The Counting Crows," he said, this time with a painfully perfect English accent.

I gotta tell you: this still gives me the fucking chills -- I mean, for all my life I have been thinking that Lynch is one of the most freakingscarysmart geniuses out there. And in terms of taste, well, I have always thought the guy lives on another planet. Like, even music-wise, I would have thought the guy might well be considered too avantgardish by a senior editor of The Wire.

That was what I thought, until I discovered David Lynch made all his fucking way to fucking Chinatown to see the fucking Counting Crows.

***

Kidz -- I gotta tell you: this is RIALLY fucked up and I am very sorry to bring such awful news. But please don't do stupid things now, okay? I know this is a hard moment, but remember:

2 commenti:

  1. certo che a casa tua c'è dylan appoggiato ovunque!!!

    ottimo, ora con 'sto inglese impeccabile (a un certo punto ho riconosciuto un contratto d'opzione!) si sfonda e ci comprano per due milioni di verdoni. tu non mi abbandoni per i soldi, vero?

    (cmq mr. jones a me piaceva)

    RispondiElimina
  2. Ma certo eccola qui....

    notwithstanding anything in the foregoing, in the event that MGMT turned up to be the new Killers (which is a possibility), the immediately preceding statement shall be considered null and void and with no force or effect;

    RispondiElimina